Glint Of Gold (Junior Production)
by Gawen Robinson
Pricing & Order Info.
"Best play in 10 years."
Newcastle Preparatory School
NATIONAL CURRICULUM - ANCIENT EGYPTIANS
- 15 speaking roles plus several cameo parts, allowing for flexible casting.
- Full instructions are given for example cast sizes of 53 or 24 actors (See "Casting" tab below).
- Unlimited chorus parts - as many as you like!
- Easy to stage with simple scenery - adaptable.
- CD of Backing Tracks available.
- CD of Vocal Tracks available.
- Piano Score (Grade 5 Standard) available.
- Easy Play Score (Grade 2/3 Standard) available.
- Easily constructed and manageable props.
- Age range - Key Stage 2 Production (7-11 years).
- Duration - 45 Minutes.
The Glint of Gold has been designed as a fully performable musical production but being topic based, is easily adapted into an invaluable classroom teaching resource or a shortened assembly piece incorporating any other work the children may have done on the topic such as paintings, designs, costumes and models etc.
Set in November 1922, the story begins with Howard Carter's famous discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamun. Along with Lord Carnarvon and his daughter Lady Evelyn Herbert, Carter enters the tomb and is astounded by the treasures buried for over 3,000 years. Before long the visitors discover the story of this little known king through the writing on the walls of the tomb. These story telling pictures are called hieroglyphs and in this play they come to life, teaching us all about Ancient Egypt. Tutankhamun, who had rested in peace for thousands of years, is now awakened and with our help needs to learn part of the "Book of the Dead" before he can join his father (The god Osiris) among the stars.
The CD is fully orchestrated with backing tracks and includes nine musical numbers covering a variety of important topics: hieroglyphs, Queen Hatshepsut, Egyptian society, the gods and pyramids.
This show has been performed many times with great success. S.H Barnett (Head of Bishop Wilson School in S. Wirral) said "The Glint of Gold" was a great success and much enjoyed by the children and parents. The format of the booklet and the ideas for scenery and music on the CD made the production very manageable. G. Jones (Head of Blagdon Co Primary School) said "Thank you very much for composing such a brilliant work. The children were learning so many new facts about the Egyptians as well as having fun." Abby Cottrell (Aged 8) said "It was a Chocker blocker"